Re: Xtables2 Netlink spec

On Friday 2010-11-26 09:25, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:

>>> BTW, I didn't look at your protocol in deep yet but I'd suggest the
>>> following basis to rework it: one netlink message, one rule operation.
v>>
>> I can agree with that suggestion, so I will be doing that.
>
>Great, this approach requires more memory because you spend one netlink
>header for every rule, but the cost is worth since it provides flexibility.

Hm, I remembered a problem with that. With "allow same attribute type
multiple times", it is possible to send a single TABLE_REPLACE
request message (even if it is 150 MB in size) that the kernel part
can then work on. Without it, and instead using per-rule ops, it
would mean that I would have to keep a per-fd state (which seems not
possible) and make use of the NETLINK_URELEASE notification handler
to kill said state when the client goes away unexpectedly.