Re: balance traffic between virtual interfaces on the same network

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 14:36:25 +0100
Tommaso Calosi <tcalosi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is my setup:
>
> eth0:1 192.168.1.10/24
> eth0:2 192.168.1.20/24
> eth0:3 192.168.1.30/24
>
> gateway 192.168.1.1
>
> I know it's a strange question but it's crucial to do this in my setup.
> I need to balance traffic between these virtual interfaces so that the
> gateway sees the traffic originating from 1.10, 1.20,  and 1.30. Is it
> possible

Virtual interfaces are a leftover BSD artifact. They do not have any
real state of their own. Virtual interfaces all map to the same underlying
network device object.  There is no reason to use them in Linux since
version 2.4.

Is the traffic originating locally on multiple sockets, or is it
being passed through?