Re: TCP Timeout Values

On Monday 2010-09-13 22:01, Erik Schweigert wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am wondering where the timeout values in
>
>/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_proto_tcp.c
>
>of:
>
>static unsigned int tcp_timeouts[TCP_CONNTRACK_MAX] __read_mostly = {
>      [TCP_CONNTRACK_SYN_SENT]        = 2 MINS,
>      [TCP_CONNTRACK_SYN_RECV]        = 60 SECS,
>      [TCP_CONNTRACK_ESTABLISHED]     = 5 DAYS,
>      [TCP_CONNTRACK_FIN_WAIT]        = 2 MINS,
>      [TCP_CONNTRACK_CLOSE_WAIT]      = 60 SECS,
>      [TCP_CONNTRACK_LAST_ACK]        = 30 SECS,
>      [TCP_CONNTRACK_TIME_WAIT]       = 2 MINS,
>      [TCP_CONNTRACK_CLOSE]           = 10 SECS,
> };
>
>are decided?  Are these arbitrary or is this defined in the TCP RFC (I
>could not see the TCP_CONNTRACK_ESTABLISHED value defined there).

In the TCP RFC. Of course you won't find TCP_CONNTRACK_ESTABLISHED in
there, it's a TCP RFC. Not a conntrack RFC.

"""the TCP must keep quiet for a maximum segment lifetime (MSL) before
assigning any sequence numbers upon starting up or recovering from a
crash in which memory of sequence numbers in use was lost.  For this
specification the MSL is taken to be 2 minutes."""