Re: [RFC 0/4] nfnetlink_queue bypass queue to userspace X bytes of connection

On 25/07/10 08:55, Karl Hiramoto wrote:
>  On 07/24/2010 08:26 PM, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
>> I think that you could avoid this extensions by means of conntrack marks
>> and the string match. Could you elaborate your application, please?
> I thought about that before i made the extension but there's no way, to do it reliably and avoid race conditions.  string matches are also really inefficient, with string matches every packet with a certain mark would be scanned

You can limit the string matching for only a few bytes in the very
beginning of the packet. If you find a matching, you can pass the packet
to user-space. Using the Boyer-Moore approach provides efficient searching.

> but its not necessary since in HTTP because you know which part of the message you want to scan, but it changes on every request/response.
>
> It's  a HTTP 1.1 filter, so it has to support persistent connections, multiple requests per connection.
> There is the possibility that some requests are allowed and others are not.   Using connmark its posible to allow an entire connection to NF_ACCEPT bypassing the queue, however not really possible when there are multiple requests per connection.
>
> Some of the features of my app are:
> * Filter Accept/block  by URL, or HTTP "Host:" tag
> * Log all request/responses,   URL, content length, time duration of request / response.
> * Parts of a HTTP 1.1 persistent connection can be rejected, other parts accepted.

This extension seems to me very specific for HTTP/1.1.