RE: ip_conntrack fails to track Windows Vista TCP connection

> Subject: Re: ip_conntrack fails to track Windows Vista TCP connection
>
> On Monday 2010-06-14 18:15, Patrick McHardy wrote:
>
> > Fischer, Anna wrote:
> >> I am trying to track (and NAT) a TCP connection to a Windows Vista
> machine
> >> using ip_conntrack. However, Vista uses the Nagle algorithm combined
> with the
> >> TCP Delayed ACK mechanism which does not ACK every single packet, and
> it seems
> >> as if the connection tracking module has problems with this.
> Basically it
> >> fails to recognize Delayed ACK packets, and as these are not picked
> up by the
> >> connection tracking module, my NAT function does not work and so
> packets are
> >> not delivered properly because they are not rewritten by ip_nat. I am
> certain
> >> that the problem is the Vista TCP stack and its mechanisms as when I
> configure
> >> my Windows Vista machine with Nagle = off and TCPNODelay = 1, then
> actually
> >> connection tracking works fine. Also, all connections with Linux
> machines are
> >> tracked properly.
> >>
> >> Is this a known issue?
> >
> > You're mentioning ip_conntrack, which is obsoleted for multiple
> > years now. Which kernel version are you using?
>
> By definition of ip_conntrack, that must be older than 2.6.20.

Yes, this is a 2.6.18 Xen kernel that I am using. Even if it is obsolete, can you let me know if you are aware of such a problem ever having caused any issues? I just want to get a feeling if I am at least roughly on the right track while figuring out what the problem is.

Thanks,
Anna