Re: Any Performance benchmark on a Million conntracks

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Patrick McHardy <kaber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Eric Dumazet wrote:
>> Le jeudi 20 mai 2010 à 18:21 +0530, Anand Raj Manickam a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>> Is there any performance bench mark on conntrack response to 1 million
>>> conntrack entries in the conntrack table.
>>> Since conntrack uses Hashing to lookup the entries i had some doubts
>>> on the scalability. Can someone shed some light please?
>>
>> Question is not about number of conntrack entries in hash table, but
>> number of inserts and deletes per second.
>>
>> For persistent connections, if you use a hash table of one million
>> slots, performance will be very good, since the chain length is small.
>> Its scalable because each cpu can access conntrack table without locks,
>> in parallel.

My understanding is that , the chances of persistent connections on
Networks using internet is less.

Suppose , if there are around 50,000 connections adds and 50,000
connection deletes  on 1 million conncurrent conntrack entry table we
have a scalabilty problem ?

The reason why i m posting this question is on the ablity of hash
tables on 1 million entries vs rb trees handling 1 million entries .

> Actually the recommended hash table size is twice the number of
> expected connections since each conntrack is hashed twice :)

So , if i m expecting (i m just expecting connections from users NOT
on HELPERS/EXPECTATION) 1 million connections do i need to set the
conntrack table to 2 million ?

How much memory do we need to maintain 1 million connections ?

The typical iptables/netfilter  say about 32k connections for 512 MB
RAM / 64k connections for greater than 1 GB.
As per  my understanding each conntrack entry is about 300 odd bytes
,assuming 310 bytes per conntrack entry , (310 * 1000000) roughly
around 300 MB