Does nfq_get_payload return the buffer size?

Hello,

When nfq_get_payload() is executed does it return the size of the
packet, or the size of the buffer?  If its the size of the packet
whats the size of the buffer?  I thought the size of the buffer could
be the range when nfa_set_mode() is called, but did not find anything
documented to support that.

I am trying to determine if there is enough space in the buffer to add
data to the packet where it is or if I need to allocate a temporary
buffer to rewrite the packet in, and then pass the new packet with
nfq_set_verdict().  If I use a temporary buffer does this buffer get
deallocated by the queue after its passed with nfq_set_verdict()?
What happens to the orignal packet buffer after nfq_set_verdict() is
called with a new packet buffer?  Do I need to deallocate the original
buffer after I create a new one?

Thanks.