RE: Group consensus sought on nf_conntrack_sip behavior

Hi Patrick, Hi Greg,

as you know, the aspects of NAT have definitely not been considered on the
development of SIP (RFC 3261); so this topic has unfortunately much room for
discussions how to handle problematical issues in detail.

In fact, using SIP together with NAT is still a tricky pain requiring
uncomely workarounds (STUN, keepalive, ...) from the user side.

Nf_conntrack_sip has helped to reduce the issues of SIP with NAT a lot from
the user side; but beyond doubt there are still open traps and unsolved Bugs
requiring some review on the code in some cases. :-/

Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Greg Alexander wrote:
> > Is there anyone else on this mailing list who cares to chime in?

I guess almost everyone on this list does not suffer from this problem
regarding no need for this code on the own "home" installation.

> > I believe it is more important to conform to standards and common
> > practice, especially since they are the same in this case and
> > present no undue burden or risk.

Nf_conntrack_sip should conform to the standards as far as possible; but on
the other side - as it's enabled by default on many distros - it's required
not to open potential security holes on a default installation.

> > Patrick McHardy seems to believe it is more important to enforce a
> > rule of thumb prohibiting wildcard expectations.
> >
> > We each have precedent in other NAT helpers to support our position.
>
> Well, I'll add one final point. You mentioned the IRC helper
> as precedent, without referring to anything concrete. You're
> mistaken though, the destination address is fixed. But I see
> where your misunderstanding might come from.
>
> What the SIP helper does is allow expectations between *arbitrary*
> hosts when the direct_media option is off - the destination address
> originates from the SDP payload, the source address is a wildcard.

IMHO the available options should be documented with examples requiring a
change of the default parameters.

Unfortunately using the default settings results in for most users hardly to
debug problems in some cases.

> > Any other opinions?  Linux is a group effort.
> >
> > [...]
>
> Have fun.

sure: Yes, we have ;)

-Florian