Re: Group consensus sought on nf_conntrack_sip behavior

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 07:39:52PM +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Well, I'll add one final point. You mentioned the IRC helper
> as precedent, without referring to anything concrete. You're
> mistaken though, the destination address is fixed. But I see
> where your misunderstanding might come from.
>
> What the SIP helper does is allow expectations between *arbitrary*
> hosts when the direct_media option is off - the destination address
> originates from the SDP payload, the source address is a wildcard.

*sigh*

I offered a DCC send from an internal host with nf_nat_irc:
  # cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack_expect
  289 proto=6 src=0.0.0.0 dst=98.223.156.20 sport=0 dport=4110
                  ^^^^^^^                         ^

I offered an RTP stream from an internal host using SIP/SDP with
nf_conntrack_sip sip_direct_media=0 (and nf_nat_sip of course):
  # cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack_expect
  179 proto=17 src=0.0.0.0 dst=98.223.156.20 sport=0 dport=7078
  179 proto=17 src=0.0.0.0 dst=98.223.156.20 sport=0 dport=7079
                   ^^^^^^^                         ^

The situations really are analogous and nf_nat_irc really does use a
wildcard for the remote end of the connection.  This is because both are
sloppy peer-to-peer protocols advertising over a proxy network using the
same handshaking methodology.

Oh and while we're on misinterpretations...I think maybe you thought I
was pushing for sip_direct_signalling=0.  I do not know if the standard
explicitly forbids indirect signalling, but personally I am a fan of
direct signalling, as are the major VOIP providers.  I think we would all
agree that sip_direct_signalling=0 presents a substantial risk for
nefarious activity.

Anyways, if you thought I was pushing for sip_direct_signalling=0 then it
makes sense that you would have figured I was insane.

- Greg