To: Ondrej Slanina
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 4:34 PM
Subject: Fwd: libipq_compat not work ?

Hello!

Just at a question, why not use nfnetlink_queue natively, instead of the libipq way (which really is a "compatibility" layer on top of nfqueue since 2.6.14)?
IIRC, nfqueue is the default set in the configure script.

Regards,

Dave

Hi,
I just tried to compile Snort inline version on Ubuntu and I think that
compatibility layer over new libnetfilter_queue is not working. Maybe I'am
doing something wrong but I also tried to make a simple sample app and it's
not working too :-( I used libnetfilter_queue-0.0.17 and libnfnetlink-1.0.0
on clean Ubuntu 8.04 LTS x86 with kernel 2.6.24-23-generic
Here are my notes:

1. libipq_compat.c, line 172 (ipq_read)
some function named ipq_netlink_recvfrom is commented out ? How can be
packet received ? Next piece of code just parse some data, check family and
parse attributes. In all cases it return 0 which means that timeout or
signal occured. OK, I can probably call nfq_fd and recv() but I think that
it have to be implemented directly in compat code.

2. libipq_compat.c, line 172 (ipq_create_handle)
  - nfq_open -> nfq_bind_pf -> nfq_create_queue
  This is OK, but when destroing ipq handle by ipq_destroy_handle only
nfq_close is called (not nfq_unbind_pf and nfq_destroy_queue) You can't
start the same app again -> error while binding

3. nfqnl_test.c , line 92
  I think that is not a good idea to exit after unsuccessful call to
nfq_unbind_pf() because no binding is available while you are running app
for the first time

Thanks for your response,
Ondra

BTW nfqnl_test which uses new API works fine...

__________ Informace od ESET NOD32 Antivirus, verze databaze 4423 (20090914) __________

Tuto zpravu proveril ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.cz

.

This e-mail message and any attachments contain information that is confidential and may be privileged. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying to this message or by sending an email to postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments without reading or disclosing them. Thank you.

--
"Of course, someone who knows more about this will correct me if I'm
wrong, and someone who knows less will correct me if I'm right."

__________ Informace od ESET NOD32 Antivirus, verze databaze 4424 (20090914) __________