A general question about IP fragmented packets and netfilter

Good morning to all.

I would like to ask you some points concerning IP fragmented packets
arriving on an interface and the
way they are handled by the netfilter modules, in particular what is
the situation in the netfilter hooks.

Starting from NF_IP_PRE_ROUTING, where destination NAT and
de-masquerading takes place, do
the packets arrive fragmented - and netfilter takes care of the
fragments - or do they arrive already
reassembled from the IP stack?

In the first case, what is, generally speaking, the technique adopted
to track fragmented IP packets
and assign each of them to the correct flow?

In the second case, if I register with netfilter NF_IP_PRE_ROUTING
hook, which is the correct "priority"
to assign during registration to receive packets already reassembled?

Thanks in advance.

Giacomo

--
Giacomo S.