Re: [resend] Passive OS fingerprint xtables match.

Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
Hi Patrick.

Thanks for your comments.

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 06:28:16PM +0200, Patrick McHardy (kaber@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
+#define XT_OSF_TTL_TRUE 0 /* True ip and fingerprint TTL comparison */ +#define XT_OSF_TTL_LESS 1 /* Check if ip TTL is less than fingerprint one */ +#define XT_OSF_TTL_NOCHECK 2 /* Do not compare ip and fingerprint TTL at all */
These seem redundant - having neither of TRUE or LESS seems
equivalent to NOCHECK. Perhaps thats the reason why its not
used at all :) Looking at the code, "TRUE" would be better
named as "EQUAL".

There are only three types of TTL check - equal (for true), less than
fingerprint one and when no check is performed at all. NOCHECK is
actually used, but LESS one does not have a special check, but a default
clause when neither TRUE or NOCHECK is specified.

OK, thanks for the explanation.

+struct xt_osf_user_finger {
+	struct xt_osf_wc	wss;
+
+	__u8			ttl, df;
+	__u16			ss, mss;
+	__u16			opt_num;
+
+	char			genre[MAXGENRELEN];
+	char			version[MAXGENRELEN];
+	char			subtype[MAXGENRELEN];
+
+	/* MAX_IPOPTLEN is maximum if all options are NOPs or EOLs */
+	struct xt_osf_opt	opt[MAX_IPOPTLEN];
This really looks like you should use nested attributes.

This will be an unneded complication - we should provide an option
sequence, and maximum number of options is strickly determined by
the protocol specification. How does having separate attributes for each
option simplify the process?

It doesn't, but it provides more flexibility which might make things
easier in case someone decides to add IPv6 support.

+/* Defines for IANA option kinds */
+
+enum iana_options {
+	OSFOPT_EOL = 0,		/* End of options */
+	OSFOPT_NOP, 		/* NOP */
+	OSFOPT_MSS, 		/* Maximum segment size */
+	OSFOPT_WSO, 		/* Window scale option */
+	OSFOPT_SACKP,		/* SACK permitted */
+	OSFOPT_SACK,		/* SACK */
+	OSFOPT_ECHO,
+	OSFOPT_ECHOREPLY,
+	OSFOPT_TS,		/* Timestamp option */
+	OSFOPT_POCP,		/* Partial Order Connection Permitted */
+	OSFOPT_POSP,		/* Partial Order Service Profile */
+
+	/* Others are not used in the current OSF */
+	OSFOPT_EMPTY = 255,
+};
Why do we need to duplicate these?

Why duplicate? It is the only place of the constants describing used
option numbers. include/net/tcp.h does not have 'partial order' options
in particular.

Indeed, I noticed this after sending my mail.

+struct xt_osf_finger_storage
+{
Please place the opening bracket consistently with the other
structure definitions.

I.e. always on the new line? :)

Just keep it consistent within your file, though I personally
prefer to keep it inconsistent with some of the other netfilter
files and not use a new line :)

+static int xt_osf_setup_callback(struct sock *ctnl, struct sk_buff *skb,
+			struct nlmsghdr *nlh, struct nlattr *osf_attrs[])
+{
+	struct xt_osf_user_finger *f;
+	struct nfgenmsg *nfmsg = NLMSG_DATA(nlh);
+	u16 delete = ntohs(nfmsg->res_id);
This looks like abuse, we use message types to distinguish between
additions and deletions, alternative NLM_F_REPLACE.

Why to introduce the whole new callback function and attribute when the
only difference is to add or remove a processed entry?

Sticking to the defined semantics avoids the need for special-casing
in generic code like libnl. A new function also doesn't seem like a
loss at all, the only common part between addition and removal appears
to be the iteration.

+		if (totlen == f->ss && xt_osf_ttl(skb, info, f->ttl)) {
+			int foptsize, optnum;
+
+			check_WSS = 0;
+
+			switch (f->wss.wc) {
+			case 0:
+				check_WSS = 0;
+				break;
+			case 'S':
+				check_WSS = 1;
+				break;
+			case 'T':
+				check_WSS = 2;
+				break;
+			case '%':
+				check_WSS = 3;
+				break;
+			default:
+				check_WSS = 4;
+				break;
+			}
This is really pushing my taste-buds. Whatever this does, please at
use symbolic constants so the reader at least has a chance to understand
it.

That's a bit unlcear window size processing state machine.
It links together knowledge about window-size, mss, mtu dependancy on
plain size numbers and modulo operations (like window size is multiple
of x bytes).

It very much reminds me of iptables userspace option parsing :|
Please at least use symbolic names for the different cases.
Why does it have to be mapped in the kernel at all? The raw value
of f->wss.wc doesn't seem to be used anywhere else.

+#define SMART_MSS_1	1460
+#define SMART_MSS_2	1448
Sigh. This entire function is completely unreadable and full of
unexplained magic. I'll stop here, please clean this before
resubmitting.

This is a special hack for special modems, which can decrease mss, and
since there is no common knowledge on how to differentiate them, there
is a check against different types.

Please explain what exactly it does in a comment. Would it make
sense to have the exact values supplied by userspace?