Re: [RFD,patch] ICMP echo conntrack timeout

Jan Kasprzak wrote:
	Hello, netfilter developers!

I am trying to delploy a conntrackd-based HA router and (if possible) a
flow statistics collector. I have discovered that nf_conntrack treats each
ICMP echo request/reply pair as a separate connection (in
net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_conntrack_proto_icmp.c:icmp_packet() function).
This has several problems:

- excessive conntrackd traffic when the ping is running over the router
	(one new "connection" per echo request/reply pair).

- should there be a duplicated ICMP echo reply (such as when when pinging
	a cluster IP address), only the first echo reply is seen as
	ESTABLISHED, the rest is INVALID.

- no "per-flow" statistics available, as there is no notion of the "flow"		at all.

	I think it would be better to keep the default timeout of
nf_ct_icmp_timeout even after the echo reply is received. Feel free
to correct me why early deleting of ICMP conntrack entries is needed,
or consider applying the following patch.

I think this patch makes sense, it also improves behaviour in cases with
asymetric MTUs where a fragmentation required is sent after the reply
passed through conntrack and conntrack can't associate it to the already
gone connection anymore.

Unless someone has concerns I'm missing, I'll apply this.