Re: TCP simultaneous open using iptables NAT?

On Thu, 28 May 2009, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:

> On Wed, 27 May 2009, Saatvik Agarwal wrote:
>
> > For my research project in school, I am trying to establish TCP
> > connections when both hosts are behind full-cone NATs using TCP's
> > simultaneous open functionality. Unfortunately, it seems that iptables
> > does not support TCP simultaneous open. For my test environment, I
> > simulate a full-cone NAT using iptables. My iptables rule is exactly
> > as follows:
> >
> > iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
>
> That rule cannot simulate full-cone NAT, because netfilter implements
> port-restricted cone NAT.

In order to describe the mapping and filtering behaviour of netfilter as
complete as possible, I have to add the following:

- According to the terminology of RFC 3489, netfilter implements port
  restricted cone NAT. If the --random flag is specified to the
  SNAT/MASQUERADE/... targets, it's better described as a symmetric NAT.
- According to the terminology of RFC 4787 and RFC 5382, netfilter
  implements
  - endpoint-independent mapping, if the --random flag is not
    specified to the SNAT/MASQUERADE/... targets, otherwise it's an
    address and port-dependent mapping.
  - address and port-dependent filtering.

Best regards,
Jozsef