nooby question

Hello.

I am looking into being able to administer my home network and possibly
more complicated network scenarios.
I can make a rule or two to block ports, but i want more.

ULOG seems to become obsolete. I don't want to use LOG either.

Question is, is there a command line tool or daemon, that is planned to
be actively developed that can possibly track some ipv4/ipv6
information? Let's say, I want to know who and how many times attempted
to connect to SSH port and similar info without trashing my dmesg output.

Thank you in advance.
Dmitri