DROP still returns -EPERM to userspace in OUTPUT chain

Hi,

once again, irc snatched this report:

|2009-05-20T20:56 < Wintre:#Netfilter>
|
|Specifically, when I add a DROP rule to the local firewall, send(2)
|starts getting EPERM. The netfilter core code includes
|nf_hook_slow(), which says:
|
| /* Returns 1 if okfn() needs to be executed by the caller,
|  * -EPERM for NF_DROP, 0 otherwise. */
|
|So, this seems kind of crazy to me. I always thought drop was
|supposed to be silent, and changing the return value of send(2),
|well. Bad. Anybody got a link to a discussion of this issue? Or is it
|just a plain old bug?

I agree with the user here. For now, one had to make use of the
“STEAL” target [1] to get the real silent drop behavior for the
OUTPUT chain. Surely that is not the ideal thing either.
Requesting comments from NF maintainers.

[1] http://xtables-addons.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=xtables-addons;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=extensions/xt_STEAL.c