Re: user-space xtables ABI [was Re: [Fwd: Re: iptables pull request]]

Pablo,

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 16:46 +0200, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:

> Now that we have a public API for extensions and your tc ipt thing uses
> it, I would not expect more breakages as long as we're aware of it.
[..]
> I think that, now that we have a public API, ABI should be not broken.

That would be fantastic.

> In case that some interface has limitations, we can add a new one while
> keeping the old.

And maybe spit out some warning somewhere that the interface being used
is deprecated (the way the kernel does it so well currently).

> The result is not nice since you end having two
> functions that do the same with different interfaces but this doesn't
> break binary backward compatibility.

Would be an improvement - currently i have to find out over configure
scripts at compile time i.e write a little program using old API and if
doesnt compile, try the next thing etc.
I think if you also depracate over a period of time the old interface
by giving ample warnings the API users are surely going to migrate.

> Of course, the change would need
> some justification, eg. some client code do need something that the
> current interface does not allow in any way.

Indeed.

> With this policy, design errors accumulate along time so we learn the
> lesson from our own mistakes and, then, we work on a new version 2 of
> the API to resolve the accumulated issues after some time. This is how
> I'm managing existing netfilter libraries. This policy makes the
> developement of libraries/public interfaces slower but I think that
> users are way happier (no binary breakages).

I think there will always be challenges and lessons learnt but i dont
see the approach you outline as making "development slower" - it just
forces whoever introduces a new interface thinks at least twice ;->
An evolution instead of a revolution is a lot more acceptable
i.e build on existing interface and give it more features than totaly
changing it like you change your socks.

cheers,
jamal