Re: [RFC] make thread-safe iface resolution in libnfnetlink

Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
Eric Leblond wrote:
Hi,

I've encountered some problems with libnfnetlink iface resolution on a
system where some interfaces are getting up and down: NuFW which uses
this feature has crashed during a down/up of an interfaces. One of
the reason seems that nufw uses one thread is used for iface related
event treatment and another thread is doing iface name resolution.

As the hash can be modified or read without any lock, I think the
problem can be linked with this issue. I thus propose a patch that
modifies the iface resolution subsystem to make it thread-safe.

Better do the locking in your application. You can define the lock in
NuFW and protect the calls to libnfnetlink's interface API. Adding this
locking to a library does not seem to me like the right thing, see that
other non-threaded clients will have to live with the overhead of this
lock that is completely useless for them. Of course, we can document
that the interface API is not thread-safe.

I agree, it should be a user decision whether to use this.
Of course they need the information which callbacks need
protection.