Re: iptables pull request

On Monday 2009-05-04 15:23, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
>Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> Please pull from:
>>         git://dev.medozas.de/iptables  master
>>
>> to receive 1 external submission, 1 manpage completion, and 7 code
>> transformations intended for the 1.4.4 'branch'.
>
>There are several API changes in this changeset, could you justify the
>benefits of it? I think that they may break binary compatibility. I
>think that the idea was to provide a stable API for things like jamal's
>ipt, not to change it quite so often just to replace int by bool.

The benefit, though smaller here, is correctness. Note the kernel has
received similar changes in v2.6.22-600-ge1931b7. I plan to materialize
more thoughts into code, as 1.4.4 should be away some months (if it
follows the usual pattern...), or at least weeks, yet.

I do not think we planned for a stable API - but feel free to ask Jamal.
The main target was ABI, because... - I am not sure how m_ipt did it,
but I seem to remember that despite version checks (ie. struct
xtables_match->version) it provided an iptables-like API that was not
actually that from the respective iptables version. Or something.

I am not sure what m_ipt did previously w.r.t. checks, but there are now
various mechanisms in place to ensure ABIs do not get mixed up
erroneously:

- soversion. m_ipt now links against, say, libxtables.so.2. If the
latter changes incompatibly, it becomes libxtables.so.3, and the
runtime linker ld.so will take care of it -- by throwing a "file not
found" error, or by actually loading a still-existing .so.2.

- libxtables will not load extensions that have a mismatching soversion
string

- lastly, we could make it so that every extension is backlinked to
libxtables.so.$version as an added measure but I had not yet given
thought of the impact that it causes for running iptables directly from
the source directory.