Re: ulogd2 commit

Hi,

Le samedi 18 avril 2009 à 13:43 +0200, Pablo Neira Ayuso a écrit :
> Eric Leblond wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Le vendredi 17 avril 2009 à 12:52 +0200, Pablo Neira Ayuso a écrit :

> 1) Looking at my ulogd2 installation, this exports a lot of header files
> for external use:
>
> $ ls /usr/include/ulogd/
> common.h    hash.h            jhash.h      linux_rbtree.h  timer.h
> conffile.h  ipfix_protocol.h  linuxlist.h  slist.h         ulogd.h
>
> Sorry, but this is a bit nasty. If this patch aims to allow compiling
> external ulogd2 module,  please make public only the basic functions
> (register, unregister, ...) in one header public file called ulogd.h or
> something like that. But not exporting all those jhash.h, linux_rbtree.h
> and so on.

Your point is correct...

> 2) Related to the previous point, if we make public some API, we'll have
> to get attached to them to ensure backward compatibility. If we support
> external modules, we'll have to engage to not changing the exported API,
> otherwise people may complain about breakages of their external modules.
> All those files that you have exported means quite a lot APIs that we'll
> have to get attached to.

This is not what I was trying to do. The only goal was compilation
outside of tree. Target was not to provide a complete and fixed plugin
infrastructure. In this case, a clean and stable API is really needed.

> I have my concerns with regards to this patch from both the technical
> approach and the new policy that it introduces.

I agree for a revert of this commit. I can push it if you want.

BR,
--
Eric Leblond <eric@xxxxxx>
INL: http://www.inl.fr/