32 vs 64 bits

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand why the following commit has been done:

http://git.netfilter.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=iptables.git;a=commitdiff;h=7d5cc229064b0e718046b9ecaebad3426dfff15f

  Removes KERNEL_64_USERSPACE_32

  Yasuyuki KOZAKAI [Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:47:57 +0000 (10:47 +0000)]

  The recent kernel has compat layer for iptables. It doesn't have
  compat layer for libipq and ip6tables, but ip6tables with
  KERNEL_64_USERSPACE_32 is still broken. We should fix kernel instead of
  fixing them if and when we want use their 32bit binary with 64bit kernel.

Where is the compat layer? If I look in a recent kernel, it seems that ip_queue.h still uses long and is broken.
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next-2.6.git;a=blob;f=include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ip_queue.h;hb=59b8bfd8fd608821e5addc9f4682c7f2424afd8c

Am I wrong?
If yes, what is the right way to fix this? Updating the API?

Thank you,
Nicolas