Suggestion: "--match recent --set --life-span <secs>" to prevent table filling up

Hello,

A suggestion for the match recent part of netfilter. Include a life_span field in the table. A host is removed from a table after it hasn't been seen for x seconds.

I suggest this because of the number of botnet hosts that rapidly fill up the /proc/net/ipt_recent tables. Sometimes an attacking host is only seen once in a long probe/attack.

Additional related suggestions:

Perhaps just reuse the --seconds parameter on a --set. instead of adding a new parameter.

Give the field a default value. (3600?)

Have a module command line parameter for changing the default value.

Use 0 for an infinite life_span.

I apologize for not being able to submit code. I tried looking at the source and I soon realized that my coding skills are VERY rusty.

I hope this sounds useful to you all. Keep up the good work.

Chris Hanson