Re: [ANNOUNCE] ulogd 2.0.0beta3

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 03:43:47PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Saturday 2009-03-07 11:34, Harald Welte wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 07:09:36PM +0100, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> >>       Link ulogd2 with libpthread
> >
> >I was just reading this and all alarm sirens went on.  I don't know
> >why that is neccessary, and I hope it is just due to some library dependency.

Hi,

I plead guilty, I'm the one who did the commit ;)

The commit message explains why:
Explicitly link with libpthread. This allows to run ulogd within gdb,
else it fails with message: Cannot find new threads: generic error

I don't know why, but gdb fails on some configs if not linked with
libpthread. Maybe this is related to some other parameters (32/64 bits ?
libc version ?), yet adding -lpthread solves the problem.
One could argue that gdb should be fixed, though.

> >When I created ulogd and ulogd2, I never intended them to become some kind of
> >multi-threaded monster with a complex locking and synchronization nightmare.

Yep, we did not change anything regarding to that (and share the same
view for the multi-thread beast).

> Yeah there seems to be not a single pthread_ call or type in use,
> so I wonder why it was done.

Threads are not used, the -lpthread could even be dropped without
any other effect than causing problems again with gdb.

Pierre