Syntax errors in man and help regarding rulenum placement

man iptables of v1.4.2 gives these 2 different syntaxes
for example for the -I option:
 iptables [-t table] -I [rulenum] rule-specification [options...]

 iptables [-t table] -I chain [rulenum] rule-specification

And iptables --help gives these:

 iptables -[RI] chain rulenum rule-specification [options]

 --insert  -I chain [rulenum]

This is all irritating, don't you think so?
Which of them is the officially correct one
regarding the placement (location) of the rulenum?