iptables, ipsec, and host2host

trying this again on the -devel list. the basic question i'm trying to answer is if there really isn't a way to filter esp/ah packets after decryption/decapsulation in host2host mode. i've looked at what i think is the current linus kernel and don't see any changes to esp/ah handling to address this. is tunnel mode the only way i can do filtering on the packets after ah/esp have done their work?

> i have been scouring the net and i can't find any clues to whether i > can do filtering after ipsec has decrypted a packet on a host2host > connection. net2net goes through the filters a second time, but > host2host doesn't seem to do that. is there some other method i can > use to filter the traffic after being decrypted?

ok, i'm following up to myself. i dug into the kernel source (for redhat/centos 5) and have found that there don't appear to be any hooks in the ah4.c or esp4.c code to pass packets back through netfilter after decapsution/decryption. from what i can tell tunnel mode (net2net) gets the double pass through netfilter only because of the use of the ip-ip protocol and ipip.c does a netif_rx call after decapsulation.

so maybe i should go dig into the current (from linus) kernel sources to see if there have been any changes. but i'm hoping that someone here might know if there is a reason that ah/esp packets aren't passed through netfilter again after being decapsulated/decrypted? or should i go find the ipsec mailing list?

my underlying goal is for a monitoring system that i want to be able to see into customer sites via ipsec, but i don't want them to be able to come back over the ipsec connection to my system. i could setup tunnels to each site, but host2host is really more what i want.