Re: [RFC] netlink broadcast return value

Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
First of all, sorry, this email is probably too long.

Indeed, I'm doing some trimminng :)

Patrick McHardy wrote:
I'm aware of that. But you're adding a policy knob to control the
behaviour of a one-to-many interface based on what a single listener
(or maybe even two) want. Its not possible anymore to just listen to
events for debugging, since that might even lock you out.

Can you think of one example where one ctnetlink listener may not find
useful reliable state-change reports? Still, this setting is optional
(it will be disabled by default) and, if turned on, you can disable it
for debugging purposes.

As I already said, "conntrack -E" used for debugging. Nobody cares
whether it misses a few events instead of causing dropped packets.
Whether its on or not by default is secondary to being the right
thing at all.

Thinking more about it, reliable logging and monitoring would be even
something interesting in terms of security.

I don't doubt that, I question the mechanism.

This seems very wrong to me. And I don't even see a reason to do
this since its easy to use unicast and per-listener state.

Netlink unicast would not be of any help either if you want reliable
state-change reporting via ctnetlink. If one process receives the event
and the other does not, you would also need to drop the packet to
perform reliable logging.

Yes, and you don't need to if you don't want "reliable" logging.
The point is that you can choose per socket. Only if a socket that
really wants this doesn't get a copy you drop.

Using unicast would not do any different from broadcast as you may have
two listeners receiving state-changes from ctnetlink via unicast, so the
problem would be basically the same as above if you want reliable
state-change information at the cost of dropping packets.

No, its not the same. ctsync sets big receive buffers and requests
"reliable" delivery, "conntrack -E" does nothing special and doesn't
care whether messages are dropped because its receive queue is too
small.

Only the processes that actually care can specify this behaviour.

No, because this behaviour implies that the packet would be drop if the
state-change is not delivered correctly to all. It has to be an on/off
behaviour for all listeners.

You keep saying that, but its only the case because the way you
implemented it requires this. Why would ctsync care whether
conntrack -E missed a packet?

[...]
I would have to tell sysadmins that conntrackd becomes unreliable under
heavy load in full near real-time mode, that would be horrible!.
Instead, with this option, I can tell them that, if they have selected
full near real-time event-driven synchronization, that reduces performance.

Again, I'm not arguing about the option but about making it a
sysctl or something that affects all (ctnetlink) sockets whether
they care or not. You could even make it a per-broadcast listener
option, but the sysctl is effectively converting broadcast
operation to reliable unicast semantics and that seems wrong.