Re: Possible race condition in conntracking

Tobias Klausmann wrote:
So the question remains what to do instead and how to do it. That
probably is deep Netfilter mojo, so I could only speculate wildly.

You should see the insert_failed conntrack counter show this
(/proc/net/stat/nf_conntrack).

We do, as I said in my first mail. Near as I can tell,
nf_conntrack_confirm() is the only function that ever increases
that counter, so it's definitely dropped there. As to how one
could handle it differently, I have to defer to people with more
Netfilter expertise. No point in "fixing" this by breaking other
stuff.

Fixing this requires some rather intrusive changes. We need
to perform a lookup on the unconfirmed list when a conntrack
is not found in the hash and use the one we find there, if any.
The entries on that list are not reference counted and there
are a lot of assumptions in the code that an unconfirmed conntrack
is exclusively associated with a single packet. This needs to
be audited and fixed, but it looks quite hard.