Re: 32 core net-next stack/netfilter "scaling"

Hi Rick, nice hardware you have :)

Every once in a while the cobbler's children get some shoes to wear :)

Stephen had a patch to nuke read_lock() from iptables, using RCU and seqlocks.
I hit this contention point even with low cost hardware, and quite standard application.

I pinged him few days ago to try to finish the job with him, but it seems Stephen
is busy at the moment.

Then conntrack (tcp sessions) is awfull, since it uses a single rwlock_t tcp_lock
 that must be write_locked() for basically every handled tcp frame...

How long is "not indefinitely" ?

The system I am using is being borrowed under an open ended loan. However, my use of it can be thought of as being the "null process" in VMS - once anyone else wants it I have to get off of it.

That said, I would guess that the chances of someone else trying to get that system are pretty small for the next four+ weeks. I had a similar system (PCIe I/O rather than PCI-X) for quite a few weeks before it got pulled-out from under.

rick