nf_conntrack_proto_generic, assigned to 0

Hi,

while reading through the source-code I remarked, that for the generic l4
protocol handler (nf_conntrack_proto_generic.c)  the protocol number 0 is
used. While linux/in.h defines IPPROTO_IP = 0 (and says "a dummy protocol for
tcp", whatever that may mean), in net/ipv6.h, the protocol 0 is used for the
hop-by-hop header. And as IANA states, 0 is assigned to the IPv6 Hop-by-hop
option.

Even, if netfilter doesn't tracks the hop-by-hop protocol, it shouldn't use
this number for the generic protocol handler, because this might be confusing.
In my opinion, 255 should be used, which is assigned as "Reserved" by IANA.

What do you think?

--
Christoph Paasch

École Polytechnique de Louvain