Re: Targets with "mangle" table limiting (Was: Re: Troubles with MARK target in 2.6.28)

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Agreed, it doesn't make sense to restrict it to mangle only.
>>
> Are there perhaps other targets besides MARK whose table restriction
> should be relaxed?

Could TOS/DSCP just call ip_route_me_harder() directly when necessary
instead of relying on the mangle hook to do so?  This would allow it
to be used everywhere.

Also, I would have thought TTL to be a considered field when
determining if a reroute is needed, but it looks like only mark, iph,
saddr, daddr, and tos are checked currently, so there doesn't seem to
be an obvious benefit to restricting that target to mangle.

With those targets available everywhere, it might allow for future
collapse of the tables, since mangle would become somewhat redundant.