Re: xt_statistic.c - the statistic match

On Thursday 2009-01-15 16:46, Bryan Duff wrote:

>> And iptables -Z should take care of the counters if rules are added
>> one-by-one. Also noteworthy is that when iptables is run, the
>> ruleset (including counters) is downloaded from the kernel, and
>> later uploaded again - possible setting counters backwards.
>> (I do no think there are any workarounds to that in the kernel,
>> at least I have not seen any.)
>> But at least all of the counters are set to where they were.
>
> Would iptables -Z fix the internal counter for the statistic nth match rule?  I
> don't see that it would.  Because that's the counter I really care about
> fixing.

It depends on the module and the implementation. As for -A/-I/-Z, all
private data will usually be retained. Only when the actual rule that
references a module is deleted, the private data of the module _may_
be removed too -- this obviously does not apply for modules that have
an information storage that can be referenced multiple times, such as
xt_recent, xt_condition or xt_quota2.

So if you want to have the nth state be zeroed too, it's best to use
iptables-restore to insert them all at once into the kernel.

> A couple things - this problem occurs multiple times after adding
> the rules (as in it can correct itself by oops'ing again), the
> other amusing thing - if I use printk's I can make it happen
> faster, also if I'm doing more throughput it happens faster.

Oopses, where?