Building the conntrack rule from scratch

If I build a conntrack rule (before any traffic actually traverses), and then send traffic through, the conntrack rule gets used, but no SNAT takes place. It sends the packet outbound with a source IP on the LAN instead of using the reply-dst and SNAT'ing to the WAN side.

How do I get it to SNAT the packet? In this way I'm circumventing iptables (why use it when you already have all the information anyway) - so nat POSTROUTING is never actually touched by the first outbound packet - it's picked up by the conntrack rule.

Tell me if I'm missing something, or if more information is needed.

-Bryan