Re: src: remove dependency on libiptc headers

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Saturday 2008-08-02 07:52, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
>>>>
> #define XTABLES_VERSION "@PACKAGE_VERSION@"

>>> This is breaking the ABI. You're replacing at field of 32 bytes by one
>>> of 4 bytes.
>
> The API actually remains the same, due to the nature of char[]
> decaying into char* (and .name is also only used in the registrator);
> the ABI (indicated by XTABLES_VERSION) changes yes, and that is fine
> because we moved from 1.4.1 to 1.4.2-rc1.

Sure, but say that someone uses whatever iproute2 version <=
iproute2-2.6.26 - which does not check for any ABI version numbering
AFAICS - and then it compiles whatever >= 1.4.2-rc1 by hand, then
jamal's ipt thing will not work as they use different ABIs.

I'm not talking on how to solve future interdependecy problems - which
you seems to have it done by exporting xtables as library - but the
problems that the size change of .name will trigger for some time.

--
"Los honestos son inadaptados sociales" -- Les Luthiers