Re: New Version of IPtables (iptables-tng) Ver2.0

hi,

This tests are done about 3 years ago, with one P3 system and in the
graphical environment of Fedor C4.

 I redo this tests in CentOS with DualCore 2Ghz Processor..
      New version take about 18s- user: 4s kernel: 14s
      Current version take about 2m
but..

>> # time iptables-restore 10000.rules
>>
>> real    0m0.120s
>> user    0m0.079s
>> sys     0m0.039s
>
> Comparing iptables-restore batches isn't that interesting as a
> performance point, other than when testing libiptc for stupidities..

yes, iptables-restore and iptables-save commands are batch mode
commands (because of the coding style of the current version but not
in this new version) , and not good checks for performance in the
interactive environment..
in the real world, they may be used at the system startup&shutdown..

> I'd say there is something wrong in the time measurements presented on
> the web site
>
> real (total) time: 5m11.622s
> user space time: 0m12.242s
> kernel space time: 0m17.609s
>
> 12s user + 17s kernel is nowhere near 5m real time..
may be, i don't remember that days well but it may be the waiting
times because of system load..

> A more interesting test is to show the iptables time for single rule
> modifications as a function of the ruleset size.

yes, e.g. when we have 10,000 rule and we want to Replace one.. i will
test this..

i think, the best feature of this version is the classification algorithms..

be happy

--
Ya Ali. H.T.