Re: Support NAT-ed expect entries from user space

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:52:28PM +0200, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> I'm wondering, how is this expectation creation working at all?
> The NULL expectfn makes me think it will crash as soon as the
> expectation arrives. This *needs* support from the helpers to
> properly set the expectfn.

The nf_nat_follow_master did the trick for me if I set the expectation
entry from user space. With NULL expectfn it didn't work.

> And more specific to this problem: back when Harald was working
> on userspace helpers, the idea was to add a dummy helper specifically
> so we have one to assign to the connection. The helper would (IIRC)
> just queue the expected packets and userspace could take it from
> there. Of course queuing could be made optional and (f.i.) it could
> just use nf_nat_follow_master.

I'd like to create a cross-platform user space ftp proxy, not a nf
conntrack+nat helper module, so my goals are a bit different. The
netfilter code contains everything I need, and the netlink interface
is quite good to instruct the kernel code to do as the proxy wants.

> And related to this patch: the direction needs to be provided
> by userspace to be generically useful. The saved_port (and saved_ip
> possibly) could either be provided by userspace or selected
> based on a couple of flags.

Yes, it's a good idea to send these parameters as attributes to the
expect creation netlink message.

Bye,
Bozo