Re: iptables performance and alternatives

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Thomas Jacob wrote:

If doing a lot of rule changes, you should definitly use iptables-restore
or CPAN perl module IPTables::libiptc.

Incidentally, what happens during the time changes are being processed
by iptables-restore/the kernel. More specifically, do I need to
worry about packets being blocked/dropped when I would do a lot of
rule updates?

Packet will not get dropped while userspace (iptables/libiptc) is making changes to the ruleset. Its allowed to make many many changes in userspace before commiting it to the kernel.

When commiting the ruleset to the kernel, the kernel will have both the old and new ruleset before it swaps the two. I have not measured the performance hit of swaping the rulesets, but it should be insignificant.

Cheers,
  Jesper Brouer