libnetfilter_queue and libnetfilter_conntrack API questions

Hello,

why is it that I cannot get the conntrack ID when I set up a callback function for DESTROY events with libnetfilter_conntrack?
When I do

int id = nfct_get_attr_u32(ct, ATTR_ID);
printf("delete ID: %d\n", id);

in my callback function. The id I get is always 0.
It works for conntrack dumps but not for events it seems.

The other question I have is the following.
I need to port a kernelspace netfilter module to userspace. It deals with udp and icmp packets, and in kernelspace I have the match function as a callback and in that match function I grab the corresponding conntrack tuple for the incoming packet to get the conntrack id. With this id I can search a list, if this connection is already in that list, and can update information in that list or add the connection to the list if it is not yet in that list. I also have a notifier callback function where I get notified when a connection was deleted. I need this to get the id of the deleted connection and delete it as well in my list with connections. Now the question is, how I can do this in userspace. I managed to get the match function from kernelspace ported to userspace by using libnetfilter_queue API. But to implement the delete notifier and to get the conntrack id I need to use libnetfilter_conntrack API where the problems arise.
I need

while ((rv = recv(fd, buf, sizeof(buf), 0)) && rv >= 0) {
		nfq_handle_packet(h, buf, rv);
}

to handle packets with my libnetfilter_queue callback function. But if I want to get notified by conntrack for delete events I need nfct_catch, which also blocks my program. So my question is, if I need to spawn multiple threads to get it done or if there is another solution?

thanks in advance,
Thomas Mader