Re: What does SPI firewall Mean?

On Friday 2008-04-04 09:32, Bhaskar wrote:

I have been thinking about this questions.  The obvious answer I got is
SPI firewall understands the states of the packet flow

Security Parameter Index
Single Packet Inspection
Stateless Packet Inspection
Stateful Packet Inspection
FWIW PCMCIA!</sarcasm>

(I have no joy figuring out what all your acronyms, SPI and NW mean.)

  1. iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -p tcp -m state --state
     NEW,ESTABLISHED --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
  2. iptabgles -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j
     ACCEPT
  3. iptables -A FORWARD -j LOG --log-prefix "Dropping Other Packets:"
  4. iptables -A FORWARD -j DROP

  1. iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE

The intension is to allow HTTP Traffic to the internal network.  With
the above setup I am not able to browse from PC connected in Protected
NW.

That is because -- despite the connection "association" being active --
you only allow http from eth0->eth1 but not the reverse direction.

After analyzing the Logs and added another 2 policies above Policy
Number 3:
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -p tcp -m state --state
NEW,ESTABLISHED --sport 80 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -p udp -m udp --sport 53 -j ACCEPT

After adding these policies I am able to browse.  AFAIK, once an
association is created (first time when packet is passing through
netfilter), the associated traffic would flow and Policies are not
parsed for the verdict.