Re: netlink socket filtering

Patrick McHardy wrote:
Out of interest how feasible it would be to do ctnetlink
message filtering using socket filters I've hacked together
these two patches for the kernel and libnl to filter on
the TCP_CONNTRACK_ESTABLISHED state.

The filtering works well, but it brought up a question that
I think also affects the patches you've posted earlier.
You mentioned that for synchronization you want to filter
on ESTABLISHED states. Since BPF only gets the final message
it can't filter on the previous conntrack state when
transitioning, but only on the current state. This means
that a filter on TCP_CONNTRACK_ESTABLISHED won't let
a message for a transition from TCP_CONNTRACK_ESTABLISHED
to TCP_CONNTRACK_CLOSED pass.

Your patches add a new table, at which point the conntrack
will also already have performed the transistion and filtering
using state matches will also only see the new state. So I'm
wondering, what are the exact filtering needs for replication
and would something like this work?

I mainly need conntrack event filtering capabilities by:

* protocol states, so that one can replicate TCP Established and whatever state in the connection closure (or even the destroy event), I don't need state transitions. * source address and destination, so that the administrator can replicate traffic for certain parts of the networks, eg. 192.168.0.0/24

I link this BSF-based solution, however, would they be flexible enough for my needs? Another question that comes to my mind, isn't this filtering coming to late? I mean, we have to invest time to build the netlink message and then decide if we want to replicate it or not.

--
"Los honestos son inadaptados sociales" -- Les Luthiers