Re: [NETFILTER]: Deploy a prefix length to network mask mapping table

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Feb 21 2008 16:38, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> this is now the proposed memory reduction of xt_conntrack as previously
>> mentioned in http://marc.info/?l=netfilter-devel&m=120334779109237&w=2 .
>>
>> Since xt_conntrack r1 is new, we can still modify it.
>>
>> ===
>> commit 84622a5c5190ea1bf0a37695961714a04a99a9c0
>> Author: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date:   Thu Feb 21 16:33:32 2008 +0100
>>
>>    [NETFILTER]: Deploy a prefix length to network mask mapping table
>>
>>    Userspace utilities commonly transform a prefix length (CIDR notation
>>    like 192.168.222.1/32) into a full netmask before submitting it to
>>    the kernel.
>>
>>    The size of struct xt_conntrack_mtinfo1 is currently 152 bytes, of
>>    which 64 bytes are for masks. By submitting prefix lengths to the
>>    kernel, we can save 60 bytes (almost 40%) as prefix lengths can fit
>>    into one uint8_t. Since we do not want to recompute the mask for each
>>    invocation of the match function, a static translation table will be
>>    used (net/core/pfxlen.c).
>>
>>    The patch also removes xt_hashlimit's obsolete mask computation.
>

> Can we merge this while r1 is not yet used by userspace?
> If not, that's fine too, will queue it for 2.6.26.

Attention, I'm about to release iptables-1.4.1 which includes the
userspace part for this. I can still delay it a couple of days and
rework the release tarball if you pass me the userspace part asap.

--
"Los honestos son inadaptados sociales" -- Les Luthiers