Re: [RFC] Allowing non-root to get iptables info?

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Patrick McHardy wrote:

> Micha? Miros?aw wrote:

> > > I always thought of it as a privacy thing, similar to restricting
> > > /proc/net/nf_conntrack. But since iptables rules usually don't
> > > allow you to determine active connections just from the packet
> > > counters that might be overkill. So I don't see any real harm
> > > in allowing users to list the ruleset.
> >
> > At least for iptables, reading of iptables status can be done by making
> > iptables-save setuid-root. So I think no kernel patching is necessary.
>
> Thats true, but I wouldn't do that since iptables is not the
> most trustworthy code.

I'd be more happy with a module parameter and/or proc switch by which this
new feature could be enabled. So backward compatibility could be kept and
the users could list the rules only if the system is explicitly configured
to allow it.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-