Re: Ebtables plans

On Feb 11 2008 21:57, Bart De Schuymer wrote:
>Op za, 09-02-2008 te 01:49 +0100, schreef Jan Engelhardt:
>> Time to unveil some plans.
>>
>> I am not sure where exactly I picked the idea up, probably in one of the
>> last discussions on netfilter-devel, to make ebtables use xtables code.
>> Well, I am in the process of writing up a bunch of patches to get us
>> closer to that. Nothing spectacularly interesting for modules (ebt_*.c),
>>
>> but at the same time I have to give a worry about the userspace code.
>> ebtables and arptables have not gotten the same attention as iptables
>> and look a bit disheveled. Eventually I would just merge them with the
>> iptables tree so it also shares all the option parsing and whatnot.
>
>Arptables was a hack from the start.

Mh, I particularly like it for one reason: you do not need to make a
half-bridge (a bridge with one port) out of an interface just to do
ARP filtering. Unfortunately, but I hope to change that, arpreply is
only available with a bridge right now.

>Ebtables is completely different
>code and is not portable with a few simple patches.

I noticed. A flag day will most likely be needed to get it into shape,
but it still looking promising.

Only annoyance so far was ebt_among which uses a dynamic match size, but
other than that it seems that I have successfully converted the
kernel-side ebtables to use x_tables.

>Thanks for pointing
>out your opinion about the code though, it really helps.
>

>I'm not going to go change the versioning system at this stage just so
>it's a bit more convenient for you. Use whatever versioning tool you
>want on your local checked out version.

Right, I have started a blank git without caring about history for now.
-