Re: [NETFILTER]: xt_conntrack: add port and direction matching

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Jan 20 2008 14:15, Patrick McHardy wrote:
I also don't think the protocol
check is very useful in this case since all conntrack entries contain
port numbers or something similar.
Is IPv4-in-IPv4 or IPv6-in-IPv4 conntracked like UDP is?
Sure, by proto_generic, which uses 0 for the port numbers.

See, that's another case why we have to explicitly list the protocols.
Just consider a stupid invocation of iptables:

	-m conntrack --ctorigport 0

I'd rather not let that match IPv4-in-IPv4 or so.

I prefer that to listing all the protocols explicitly. I guess
you would not object if it was named "--ctorigprotokey", but --ctorigport is clearer for most protocols.

The protocol check is important though, because IPPROTO_GRE is
_not_ included, since, it's not something that has a port.
It has the keys, which are also just a numerical value. Don't
think of it as ports but as "layer 4 protocol keys".

But do these keys actually get modified in NAT?

If the protocol is known to NAT and it clashes then yes.

-