kernel-source required?

Hi,

just now as an IRC user posted about a compilation error, the only
situation that I could think of to load to this error was a missing
kernel source tree.
Since many Xtables header files are copied to the iptables source tree,
yet `make KERNEL_DIR=somethinginvalid` gives a compiler error because it
cannot find <linux/compiler.h> (required by ip_tables.h).

So I wonder, do we actually support building iptables without a
kernel source tree?
-