Re: conntrackd won't start, "can't open multicast server!"

Hi Max,

Max Kellermann wrote:
> I am currently working on the official conntrack-tools 0.9.5 Debian
> package; I have been maintaining the old "conntrack" program before.
> The daemon will not start (with examples/stats/conntrackd.conf):
>
>  host:~# /usr/sbin/conntrackd -C /etc/conntrackd.conf
>  Notice: StripNAT clause is obsolete. Please, remove it from conntrackd.conf
>  ERROR: conntrackd cannot start, please check the logfile for more info
>  host:~# tail /var/log/conntrackd.log
>  [Fri Jan  4 09:01:25 2008] (pid=9353) --- starting in console mode ---
>  [Fri Jan  4 09:01:25 2008] (pid=9353) [FAIL] can't open multicast server!
>  [Fri Jan  4 09:01:25 2008] (pid=9353) [FAIL] initialization failed

You forgot the -S option to run it in statistics mode. I know that this
option is a bit confusing so I have applied a patch to obsolete it.
Thus, you won't need to pass -S to conntrackd anymore in the upcoming
0.9.6 release.

> Also, the example shipped in the 0.9.5 includes the obsolete
> "StripNAT" option.

This was removed from SVN. BTW, SVN currently contains a patch to enable
logging via file/syslog for the statistics mode. Still, this requires
evaluation in terms of performance (e.g. very busy firewalls) and some
kind of tool that digest the logging information.

--
"Los honestos son inadaptados sociales" -- Les Luthiers
-