Re: Quota on SMP AGAIN

On Dec 28 2007 17:50, Patrick McHardy wrote:

>> And my bigtime question would be: where is the other counter
>> actually? struct xt_quota_info only has one counter! Does
>> netfilter secretly allocate matchinfos per-cpu?
>
> Not secretly, but yes, the entire ruleset exists once per CPU. That
> also seems to be the problem, at the time the master idea was thought
> of we always dumped entries from CPU 0, today its from the current
> CPU, but the only one that actually has correct counters is CPU 0.
>
> The easy fix would be to revert to that behaviour, but maybe someone
> can come up with a better idea that doesn't involve walking over the
> entire ruleset and resycing things or adding dump callbacks to
> matches.

Well, the short term fix would be to turn

	q->master = q

into

	q->master = percpu_get(0, q)

or whatever is appropriate.

In the long run, separating the rule from the matchinfo data would be
beneficial. Or actually - why cannot the ruleset exists once for all
CPUs? The write path is a slow path anyway / it is read-mostly anyway.
-