Re: [oops] in text matching

Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
Patrick McHardy wrote:
Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
Pablo? I would prefer to get this fixed before 2.6.24, unless
there's a better fix I'm going to include my patch to reject
pattern lengths of 0. Thanks.
Sorry for the late reply. Why should we accept zero length patterns?
Would you consider this patch? It keeps consistent the return value of
all textsearch approaches when a zero length pattern is passed.
The other ones actually seem to handle it fine, and I think
it should actually behave similar to memcmp or strcmp, so I'd
prefer a patch to handle it properly by always matching.

Indeed, KMP supports zero length patterns but I don't know how :).
kmp_find() accesses kmp->pattern[0] -which actually points 4 bytes out
of the ts_config structure- to compare it with text[i], then if those 4
bytes doesn't match text[i], then returns a matching at position 1.

Indeed, it doesn't seem to handle it properly too.

I think that a zero length pattern is a unspecified entry that we should
reject. Also, returning some error to tell the user that is passing a
zero length pattern -something that is probably what he didn't really
want as it happens to Andrei.

I can cook a patch for iptables to reject zero length pattern with a
nice error message, thus avoiding the EINVAL that will probably go nuts
users.

Well, in that case I'll take your last patch, its textsearch which
is broken, not iptables :)
-