RFC Announce active-active solution: availability-manager

Hi!

implemented an active-active firewall solution. It implements a loadbalancing
cluster that is able to detect new nodes (on-the-fly integration) and failed
ones. Furthermore, it synchronizes the connection tracking table of the
nodes, so that at a failover no connection gets lost.

In order to achieve this the kernelmodule "clusterdev" was implemented. It is
based on Harald Welte's "clusterip" and so it uses a multicast MAC address to
share an IP address on multiple nodes. Which node is responsible for a
connection is determined by a responsible range (0 ... 255) assigned to each
node.

The second part of my solution is the userspace
application "availability-manager". It sets the responsible range and
implements a simple heartbeat protocol. Furthermore, it uses
libnetfilter-conntrack to make sure the connection tracking table of each
node is known by the others. Thus at a failover the connection tracking
entries can be reallocated among the remaining nodes.

The software is released under the GPL and can be downloaded at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/avail-manager/

A translation of my diploma talk can be found at:

http://avail-manager.sourceforge.net/talk.pdf

I tested the software with kernel 2.6.22 and libnetfilter_conntrack-0.0.81.
For the future it is planned to include IPv6 support. Furthermore I think it
may be possible to make it work with "clusterip".

Although I consider the software to be in a pre-alpha state, it runs quite
stable in a productive environment at the credativ GmbH. Any comments are
highly appreciated.

Regards

  Ben Sartor
-