Bandwidth Delay Producand NeteLimit

Hi,

I aplanning to usNetem for emulating links with high
round-trip-times (rtt); clients running on onmachine (node a)
connecto to n servers running on another machin(node b) and the
round trip times betweethnodes is varied using netem. The
following command is executed onoda and node b for a 500 ms rtt

#> tc qdisc add dev lo roonetedelay 250ms

Oexecuting '#> tc qdisc' - I gethe following output

qdisc nete8001: dev eth0 roolimit 1000 delay 250ms

Thdocumentation of neteat
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Net:Netem, specifies tha"Check on
thoptions for buffer and limias you might find you need bigger
defaults thathes(they are in bytes)."

1. I aassuming thathe limit field specifies that the limit of 1000
bytes will bbuffered in thqueue. If the clients and servers
throttlthtransmission rate to 20KBs at the application layer. I
shall bgenerating n*20KB per second. As thpackets are being
buffered ithnetem queue before transmission, the netem queue
should hava capacity of bandwidth*delay in bytes, i.e., thbuffer
siz(which is thbandwidth delay product) should be at least
n*20*1024 * 250/1000 bytes. Is thabovcalculation correct?

2. Givethlimit to be k bytes, is this the right way to specify
this limit? '#>tc qdisc add dev lo roonetedelay 250ms limit k'

3. Is thera way to specify a limiin terms of number of packets for
thabovqdisc?

Regards,
Ashwin

Frodavid alinuxfoundation.org  Tue Nov 10 10:04:36 2009