NASA Selects U.S. Small Business Technology Transfer Projects for Further Development

May 01, 2013

David E. Steitz
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1730
david.steitz@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 13-126

NASA SELECTS U.S. SMALL BUSINESS TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER PROJECTS FOR FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

WASHINGTON -- NASA has selected 14 proposals from small business and
research institution teams to continue development of innovative
technologies that are needed for future NASA missions and could
become viable commercial products and services.

The Phase II selectees in NASA's Small Business Technology Transfer
(STTR) Program may enter negotiations for possible contract awards,
worth a combined total of approximately $9.8 million. High-tech firms
in seven states submitted proposals in partnership with research
institutions in nine states.

"As teams in our Small Business Technology Transfer Program move into
their second phase of development, we'll see innovative concepts
mature into viable technologies that can be incorporated into NASA's
exploration plans and benefit our technology based economy," said
Michael Gazarik, NASA's associate administrator for space technology
in Washington. "Through modest investments in technology development
among American small business and research institution teams, we're
planting the seed corn that will keep NASA leading the way forward in
space exploration, and America leading the world in high-tech
business enterprises."

Technologies selected for further development under Phase II will
demonstrate the feasibility of new propellants for in-space
propulsion, increased capabilities to perform autonomous robotic
operations and in-situ robotic planetary analysis, and new methods
for the manufacturing of advanced alloys.

The STTR Program uses a highly competitive, three-phase award system
that provides collaborative opportunities between qualified small
businesses, including women-owned and disadvantaged firms, and
research institutions to address specific technology gaps in NASA's
programs. Selected projects provide a foundation for future
technology developments and are complementary to other NASA research
investments.

Firms and research institutions that participated in Phase I of the
STTR program submitted 38 Phase II proposals. Selection criteria
included technical merit and innovation, Phase I results, value to
NASA, commercial potential and company capabilities.

Phase I is a feasibility study to evaluate the scientific and
technical merit of an idea. Phase II will expand on the results of
last year's projects, with as much as $700,000 to support research
for as long as two more years. Phase III is for the commercialization
of the results of Phase II and requires private sector or non-STTR
federal funding.

NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif., manages the STTR
Program with executive oversight by the Space Technology Mission
Directorate at NASA Headquarters in Washington. NASA's field
installations manage individual projects.

For a complete list of selected companies, visit:

http://sbir.nasa.gov

NASA's Space Technology Mission Directorate is innovating, developing,
testing and flying hardware for use in NASA's future missions. For
more information about NASA's investment in space technology, visit

http://www.nasa.gov/spacetech

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx